Thursday, February 09, 2006

Pre-Olympic Frenzy

So I've been trying really hard to actually get some stuff done before the Olympic craziness starts ... Didn't get quite as far as I wanted... but this is what I have done:



This is a present for a baby who will be born any day now. The pattern is my own... I was thinking to myself "how can I combine math and knitting"? So I decided to make a blankie in a knit/purl pattern with horizontal and vertical rows determined by the numbers in the Fibonacci sequence. For those of you who don't know what that is, to get the Fibonacci sequence, you start with two ones; to get each next number in the sequence, you add the two previous numbers. So the sequence begins as such:

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, etc.

There are all sorts of interesting properties involving this sequence which I won't get into, but it certainly does make it easy to remember count how many rows are in each section of the pattern. Anyways, I'm half done now, and the rest will have to wait until I'm done my Olympic Rogue, which I will be casting on as soon as I get home from work today. (Can't wait...)

My sister loved her Roman Rib socks so much that she begged me to make her another pair with the same yarn. So, with a different colourway of Paton's Kroy, we have the first of her pair of Little Shell Socks. In typical me fashion, I started from the toe, increased to the desired width, and then flipped through my stitch dictionary for a pattern that would work with the number of stitches I had. The winner this time was a super simple pattern that actually looks kinda cool with stripey yarn.



The second sock will be bus knitting during the Olympics... something about whipping out cable charts on the bus seems like a silly idea...

Speaking of the Olympics, I did get a chance to do a swatch for my Rogue. After doing a regular stockinette swatch, I decided to familiarize myself with the chart and symbols by swatching up the sleeve chart... I'm glad I did too. Now I know how the symbols work and I got to try out most of the odd cable stitches that I hadn't seen before.



Now I can't WAIT to go home and start for real!!!!!

Comments on "Pre-Olympic Frenzy"

 

post a comment