What kind of Canadian knitter am I?
| tuque [took] noun: a heavy stocking cap worn in Canada So last night I was bundling up for my annual trip to Fright Night (rides, haunted houses, general spooky reveling at the Pacific National Exhibition) when it dawned on me: I'm Canadian, I'm a knitter, and I have never knit myself a tuque!!! This is sacrilege! I mean, tuques are part of our national identity! Our uniform! The only approved head covering when watching hockey or snowy CFL games! And a word that still seems to be particular to our country. Most people from outside Canada look at us in confusion when we mention the word "tuque", until, of course, we describe what they are. Inevitably, the reply seems to be "Oh, a knit hat! Why didn't you just say so?!" But come on, saying tuque is just way more fun! :-) And it sound much more attractive than "watch cap" or "stocking cap". (Why would I want to wear stockings on my head? I don't even like wearing them on my legs!) And so it turns out that I, a proud Canadian, a proud knitter, and a person sometimes in need of a warm head covering, have never knit myself a tuque. I have tuques. I wear tuques. I've knit tuques, just not for me! In fact, when I was out with my friends last night, two of them were wearing tuques that I had knit for them! So I've decided it's time that I got down to business and knit myself a tuque. Before my Canadian citizenship gets revoked or something! |





Comments on "What kind of Canadian knitter am I?"
post a comment