Sunday, October 29, 2006

Spinning is fun!

Well, I think I can almost consider myself a spinner now, rather than a mere dabbler! (I'd better be a spinner, since I have a Fricke wheel with my name on it that should be here within a week or two!) I still haven't broken the news to my boyfriend... I think I'll have to buy him a case of beer and promise him a hand-spun hand-knit tuque to make up for the fact that our little apartment is about to be crowded with even MORE fibre-ish stuff...

Until my wheel arrives, I've been tiding myself over with my widening array of drop spindles. Once you discover the ease and economy of making your own spindles, it's kinda hard to stop! I now own 7 spindles (4 home-made)! And I think in total they cost me less then $10 to make, not including the wood glue since I already had that.

So here's a picture of my first skein of wheel-spun yarn. I found a couple packets of Kool-aid while rummaging for some hot chocolate one morning and decided that I just HAD to dye this stuff. So poor boyfriend woke up to find a blue yarny mass sharing the shower with him. I don't think he was too impressed!


So I decided that I really should make the boy something for being so tolerant of my fibre habits (and bragging endlessly to his friends and family when I make something nice). Whaddya know, I found some lovely brown Perendale that's destined to become a hat and glove set.

Yum.

And finally, my favorite spinning project yet: I bought some rather lovely Corriedale top and plied it with itself into a worsted-weight yarn that's still trying to decide what it wants to be. I'm thinking either a neck-warmer-ish thing or a hat. Until it's made up it's mind, I'm just going to keep petting it daily!

Now I need to put the spinning aside for a while, as I have some SERIOUS stashbusting to do. I've decided that I have to empty out one of my ginormous under-bed storage bags before I am allowed to buy any more yarn or fiber. I'd post a picture, but I might scare myself in the process and start having convulsions. Beginner knitters really shouldn't be allowed to stock up on acrylic. And craft cotton. Crap, that's a LOT of dishclothes and crocheted afghans to make... better get to it!

Comments on "Spinning is fun!"

 

post a comment