Friday, July 29, 2005

TGIF - Oh wait, I have tons of work to do.

*sigh* Another long weekend that I'll mostly be stuck inside working and stressing. Hopefully the last one for a while. Master's defense on Wednesday, tons of stuff to do for work so I can actually take some holidays in August. (Hello, guilt-free knitting!)

I've learned that there is a certain advantage to living two blocks from an Earl's with a sweet patio: the freedom to wander over on a whim, sip some fruity cocktails (on special, no less), and wander home in time for Jeopardy with a slight buzz. All while catching some desperately needed sunshine. For the second summer in a row, I'm working on my computer programmer's tan - ie. none at all. Seriously, it's Vancouver, it's BEAUTIFUL, and I'm inside. Wearing a sweater. And drinking tea to keep warm. Damn air con. Although I'd rather be on the chilly side when I'm working rather than hot, sticky, and slightly dopey, which is how I feel when I work at home.

Well, in the past few days, I've finished my first pair of socks. I didn't like the ribbing that I did on my first sock, so I reknit it with plain stockinette stitch. Me likey mucho better.



Now I really need to start stashbusting though. Too much yarn that really just needs to be used up. So with that in mind, I present to you Stashbusting Project #1: Mosaic Mitts from Summer 2004 Interweave Knits. Here's the original:


And here's what I have so far (actually, I've since finished the first mitt except the thumb).


These are going to be SO warm come winter. And I'm using up my leftovers from my ribby cardi, which is all good.

My second stashbuster project is a bag, Unbiased from Knitty. I'm using some Red Heart Camouflage stuff that I picked up on a whim from Walmart. I'm knitting this with 3.5 mm needles, which is making a nice dense fabric. I'm desperately trying to avoid the need for a lining, because I'd just never get around to sewing one, as evidenced by my two other knit bags laying under my bed begging for attention. This is TOTALLY a TV-watching kind of project... nothing but knit stitches with an increase and a decrease every other row. But I think it'll end up being something I'll actually use, so it's all good. I'm just on the first of the four panels, so this'll take me quite a while.

Comments on "TGIF - Oh wait, I have tons of work to do."

 

post a comment