Now this hasn't happened in a while - I actually bought CDs yesterday. There's been so little on the radio that's actually made me want to spend some hard-earned dollars on an album (cuts into my yarn/clothing budget, plus I'm very passionate about music and refuse to by crap), but there were a few CDs that I've been wanting for a while now. And there were "Sale" signs at the HMV yesterday, so I wandered in.
The first album that went into the Discman this morning was the latest by Kanye West, Late Registration. Arrogant, yes, but I do rather like his music. You may not like what he says, but at least he says SOMETHING. With conviction. And the tunes are mighty catchy. Best part of the CD? The little skits in between songs. The Broke, Flat Broke Fraternity chant cracked me up. (I can see myself repeating "Broke, Broke, Broke, Flat Broke" whenever I feel like shopping...) Verdict? If you liked the last one, go pick this one up. It's better.
 Next up, Hopes and Fears by Keane. Call me a sappy girl, but I just LOVE that "so why don't we go somewhere only we know" song. It's been out on the radio for months, but I'm still not sick of it (and I tire QUICKLY of most radio drivel). Besides, I like the guy's voice and the sound of the band. The album did not disappoint me one bit. Kind of break-up-ish, but everybody needs a few of those albums kicking around, especially if you've worn out your copy of Jagged Little Pill. (Me, I prefer Linkin Park for breakup music, cranked up with super bass.. Yes, I am weird.) As soon as I heard "Madonna goes Euro-techno" I knew I had to go and get her new CD. That woman has a knack for putting out engaging, catchy #1 hits. I love Madonna, I love Euro-techno. This is my new work-out CD. Maybe, maybe if I go to the gym enough I'll have a body like hers... no? Well, I'll take any motivation I can get, so let me live in my delusion.
 Now, I'm extremely picky about what albums I will won't buy, and I have NEVER shelled out for a CD without absolutely loving at least two songs (the exception being Seal IV, I ran to the store as soon as I heard the first strains of the first single from that CD. That guy could sing about ingrown toenails or my pink bathroom mold and I'd still pay probably to hear it.) So imagine my surprise when I walk up to the HMV counter with an album of a band I've NEVER heard ANYTHING from, never mind anything from this particular album. A few friends whose musical tastes are nearly identical to mine apparently LOVE Death Cab for Cutie and keep telling me I should listen to their stuff. They told me so a couple weeks ago. Of course, I promptly forgot the name of the band, until I came across their latest on the CD rack. I needed a second CD to add to the Keane CD to get the 2 for $30 deal, and I really didn't feel like any of the dozen Van Halen or Peter Gabriel albums with the orange stickers, so I went for this.
 The best way I could describe this album would be Pilate meets Placebo, which doesn't mean much to most people since most people have never heard of Pilate, and probably not too many people are familiar with Placebo either. A little on the slow side, melodic, with very few guitars. And the guy has a very slightly nasal voice (hence the Placebo comparison). This band reminds me of another group too, but I can't quite put my finger on it at the moment. And, surprise, it turns out that one of the tracks had been used for a commercial during the Olympics (on the CBC anyways). Can't quite remember what the commercial was for, but I definitely remembered the tune. So I thought that was cool.
This will be more of a grows-on-you CD rather than an instant favorite like the other three are. But I like having a few of those in my collection (the Pilate CD and the last George Michael CD are two others that fall into that category for me)... they end up being so much more dear to me in the end.
***********************************************************************************
I've been knitting too... I finally finished off my set of baby things (green hoodie, yellow blankie, and a bear from Last Minute Knitted Gifts). Now I just have to take pictures, find a card, and find a box to ship it in before the kid outgrows the sweater! |
Comments on "New CD screening day!!"
post a comment